Tuesday, April 15, 2008

R.I.P Rob & Big

I'd be remiss if I didn't make note that tonight's hour long Rob & Big show will be the series finale, ending what is most likely the most unlikely hit show in MTV's history. I for one will miss it. I don't watch too much television, let alone much of the slop on that joke of a network, that despite it's name doesn't play any music anymore but instead gives you shows like The Hill or Laguna Beach or Life as Ryan that I, a 23 year old black guy from a humble Ohio upbringing, let's say don't identify with. Rob & Big on the other hand bridged cultural gaps. It appealed to my childish instincts and I'm sure succeeded to the same effects to a wide range of cultural cross sections. On a personal level though, it gave me something to laugh at when I got home from work every Tuesday night for the past few years and sadly in a day's time it will be a distant memory, joining that list of great shows that I've had the misfortune of seeing go over the past year (The Wire, The Sopranos). I'm only down to Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter & Lost to get me through tough work weeks and stress-filled spans of my life. Of course Curb & Dexter are taking their annual sabbaticals and Lost is on a 4 week break. Anyway, just a heads up, it comes on at 10 tonight and it's the last episode forever, so don't miss it.

No comments: