Friday, August 29, 2008

Fat Joe Earns Some Respect

It's not often that I can say something nice about someone that I, at least to a marginal degree, detest like Fat Joe (mostly because of his unyielding insistence upon saying 'nigga' and it somehow being okay, even though he's never actually made an argument that supported his right to say it) but I have to say that the guy earned some stripes today when he smacked down Daddy Yankee as a sell-out for endorsing a candidate that doesn't speak to the benefit of latinos in John McCain. Fat Joe was right to do this because as he put it, there are certain young people who will be influenced by someone like Daddy Yankee and trust he's leading them in a direction that's beneficial to them. Some of the quotes from MTV.com:


"Put this in the MTV News headline: 'Fat Joe Says Daddy Yankee Is a Sellout,' " the MC said via phone from Denver, where he's attending the Democratic National Convention. "Just like that! I gotta go in. I'm talking to little cousins that like [Yankee] and all that, and they're starting to believe that John McCain is [the best candidate]. I can't have that."

"I opened the newspaper and got sick to my stomach," Joe continued. "I felt like I wanted to vomit when I seen that. The reason why I called him a sellout is because I feel he did that for a [publicity] look, rather than the issues that are affecting his people that look up to him. How could you want John McCain in office when George Bush and the Republicans already have half a million people losing their homes in foreclosure? We're fighting an unjust war. It's the Latinos and black kids up in the frontlines, fighting that war. ... We over here trying to take the troops out of Iraq and bring peace. This guy immediately wants war. If not with Iraq or Afghanistan, he'll start a new one with Iran. I feel real disgusted that Daddy Yankee would do that. Either he did that for a look, or he's just not educated on politics."

"Like I said, with me, my whole philosophy on blacks and Latinos is: We're all one," he said. "We're in the same ghettos, same inner cities, and we're suffering from the same problems. Every problem the blacks have, the Latinos have. There's two systems of health care: the one for the rich that's really good, then there's the one for the inner city, where they leave ladies in the emergency room unattended for 24 hours until they drop dead. ... People don't even check on her hours after she's dead. This is normal stuff. This is what's happening in the U.S."

"My own sister — to me she was murdered by doctors," he claimed. "She was having a baby in the Bronx, and they gave her an epidural — a normal procedure that was supposed to numb her from the waist down. They numbed her from the waist up, because they had amateurs learning in the Bronx hospitals. Not even real doctors — students murdered my sister in the inner city, in the Bronx. I love what Barack is doing with the heath care system. Once he gets universal health care for everybody, then we gotta step up our system to make it the best in the world."
I must say bravo to the man. He's on the right side an issue for once.

Full story here.

No comments: