Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pardon My French But Fuck Gilbert Arenas

I can forgive being a headcase, as most my favorite people in the world, famous or not, are. I can forgive momentary inhuman moments because even the best of us act like the worst of us from time to time. One thing I don't care for are frontrunners. And Gilbert Arenas, who is a headcase and occasional asshole, that I still liked did the worse thing imaginable. He became a frontrunner after saying he didn't support McCain or Obama. Now he's got Obama tattoos on his hand and Obama & family murals in his house. Disgusting.

Gilbert November 2008 Pre-Frontrunner Status:

I’m not into politics, but I see what’s going on in the presidential race and I’m seeing rappers make songs for Obama and Mr. McCain doing all his stuff and I’m thinking, this is getting out of control, people. Whatever happened to Democrats and Republicans? You vote for who’s who.

It’s hard for me to vote, because since I’ve been in the NBA I’ve been in the upper class so I’ve been a Republican. If you have any type of money, you’re a Republican, period. So, it’s hard because you see a better looking president in Obama – I don’t even want to say because he’s black, but he just looks the part – and then you have McCain who is Republican and I’m like, man. I know Obama is going to raise taxes on the upper class from 20-60 percent, that’s what I’m looking at. To be honest, I stopped paying attention a long time ago when it was Bush and Gore when Gore won the popular vote, but Bush was the president.

For whatever president that wins, what can I tell you? Do a good job. Change the world. I remember when we were voting for class president in high school, the guy who won was the guy who said he’s going to put the vending machines in the school cafeteria. That’s who I voted for. So until I hear vending machines or lower gas prices, I’m not voting. As soon as I hear, “Yeah, I’m going to lower gas prices,” then you got me, I’ll sit in jury duty.

Then Post November 4th, Obama -Tattoo having Frontrunner Gilbert:

"Gilbert's bored," Etan Thomas said, shaking his head, as he got prepared for Saturday's eventual debacle against the Orlando Magic.

As usual, Gilbert Arenas was holding court and cracking jokes with his teammates before the game, so I assumed that Thomas was talking about Arenas doing his nightly comedy routine. Shortly thereafter, it became clear that Thomas was talking about something else entirely.

Arenas walked by Thomas and Thomas stopped him to look at Arenas's hand. Then Thomas licked his thumb and rubbed Arenas's hand trying to smear off the ink. When the ink remained, Thomas chuckled, shook his head some more, and walked away.

I walked up to Arenas to see what got Thomas so worked up and looked in amazement. Arenas has decided to show his permanent support of President-elect Barack Obama with a tattoo. Arenas had the words "Change We Believe In" tattooed onto the fingers of his left hand in cursive writing. Then, Gilbert showed the outside of his pinky finger, which had "44" inked on it.

My left hand no longer looks like this.

Arenas shortened Obama's campaign slogan, "Change We Can Believe In," choosing not to add ink to his thumb. Arenas has "change" written on the outside of his index finger; "we" on the inside of his middle finger; "believe" on the inside of his ring finger; and "in" on the inside of his pinky and "44" on the outside of his pinky. In case you didn't already know, Obama will be the 44th POTUS.

Arenas said he went down to Miami to have his favorite tattoo artist stitch him up after the Wizards arrived in Orlando late Friday night. He didn't explain how he got there -- Miami is an hour flight or three-hour drive from Orlando -- and I was too shocked by the tattoo to ask a follow-up question. All that I could say was, "You've got a lot of free time, don't you?"

For a player who said he wasn't even going to vote just three weeks ago, Arenas changed his apolitical stance quickly -- and dramatically. Arenas said on Saturday that his previous comments about not voting because he was afraid of having higher taxes were "a joke that nobody got." He added that he always planned on voting for Obama but was waiting to find the right reasons.

"I wasn't going to sit there and wing it for no reason," Arenas said, "Like oh yeah, he's black so I'm voting [for him]. I could've said I was voting for [John] McCain because he's from Arizona and went to all the games."

Arenas said he went with Obama because he was impressed with his demeanor and temperament.

Arenas has gone all out for Obama, adding that he hired an artist last week to paint a mural with Obama's family on one side and Arenas's fiancee and children on another side of a wall in Arenas's house. "He united people," Arenas said of Obama. "By him winning, it showed the world that we're not as racist as people think we are. I think that's the beauty of [the election]. Not just because he's the first African American president. America is not as bad as people think we are."

Arenas once dubbed himself, "Black President," but said he had no problem conceding the title with a real black president now heading to Washington. He said he even plans on getting a Wizards jersey that reads "Obama 44" and will ask him to sign it if and when Obama decides to attend a game at Verizon Center. Arenas said there is even more reason to win a championship, "because if you win the championship, you go to the White House."


I hate people that aren't down until you prove to be victorious. I don't want that. If you can't suffer through the long odds with me and bad times and want to be silent when things aren't going well, then I don't want to hear you when things are going good. I'd rather Obama lose and have his loyal most staunch supporters be the only ones backing him then have frontrunners and hal-way well wishers join him at the last lap of the race and support him. That's where I'm done with this guy. In fact I'mma let Mike Singletary speak to Gilbert Arenas for me:


No comments: